HERSHEY FELDER AS GEORGE GERSHWIN ALONE
Produced in partnership with Hershey Felder Presents, Paper Mill is proud to present Hershey Felder as George Gershwin Alone – Live from Florence, streamed live on Sunday, September 13 at 8PM. George Gershwin Alone has had over 3000 performances worldwide, including Broadway, London’s West End, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and more. As with his previous live stream performances, this production will benefit national US theaters and arts organizations.
“After the success of our first live stream presentation, Christopher Jackson: Live from the West Side, Paper Mill Playhouse will continue to explore virtual offerings during the upcoming season” says Mark Hoebee, Paper Mill Playhouse’s Producing Artistic Director. “We look forward to the time we can raise our curtain up in person, but until that time, we will begin the new season in the way that is currently possible.”
“I had the pleasure of presenting Hershey Felder on numerous occasions while at Hartford Stage. I am delighted to bring his work to Paper Mill audiences, who I know will be beguiled by his immensely popular George Gershwin Alone” stated Michael Stotts, Paper Mill’s Managing Director. “Audiences of all ages will enjoy this story, and Hershey’s performance as Gershwin.”
Tickets are $55 per household. Purchase includes the live broadcast and a week of extended “on-demand” viewing access to the recording of the live broadcast (available one-hour after the live broadcast ends). Viewing access ends on Sunday, September 20 at 8:59PM EDT. Tickets cannot be transferred or shared.
George Gershwin Alone tells the story of America’s great composer, who with the groundbreaking A Rhapsody in Blue, made a “Lady out of Jazz.” The show incorporates the composer’s best-known songs from “The Man I Love” and “Someone to Watch Over Me,” through the hits of An American In Paris and Porgy and Bess, to a complete performance of Rhapsody in Blue. As the only actor-musician to create the role of George Gershwin on the stage, and with over three-thousand performances, from California to Broadway to London’s West End, for the first time, Hershey Felder will bring George Gershwin to life on the stage of one of Europe’s oldest and most famous theatres, Florence’s Teatro Della Pergola. Hershey Felder as George Gershwin Alone features the music and lyrics of George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin, with a book by Hershey Felder. The production is directed by Stefano de Carli and Felder, adapted from the stage play directed by Joel Zwick. The Associate Director is Trevor Hay. Scenic design is by Hershey Felder. Film production and live editing is by the DeCarli Live film company. Live broadcast and Sound design production are by Erik Carstensen. Meghan Maiya is Director of Broadcasting & Special Projects.
About Hershey Felder
Named to Time Magazine’s 2016 Top 10 Plays and Musicals, Hershey Felder has played over 6,000 performances of his self-created solo productions at some of the world’s most prestigious theatres and has broken box office records consistently. American Theatre Magazine has said, “Hershey Felder is in a category all his own.” His shows include: George Gershwin Alone (Broadway’s Helen Hayes Theatre, West End’s Duchess Theatre); Monsieur Chopin; Beethoven; Maestro (Leonard Bernstein); Franz Liszt in Musik, Lincoln: An American Story, Hershey Felder as Irving Berlin, Our Great Tchaikovsky, and A Paris Love Story. His compositions and recordings include Aliyah, Concerto for Piano and Orchestra; Fairytale, a musical; Les Anges de Paris, Suite for Violin and Piano; Song Settings; Saltimbanques for Piano and Orchestra; Etudes Thematiques for Piano; and An American Story for Actor and Orchestra. Hershey is the adaptor, director and designer for the internationally performed play-with-music The Pianist of Willesden Lane with Steinway artist Mona Golabek; producer and designer for the musical Louis and Keely: ‘Live’ at the Sahara, directed by Taylor Hackford; and writer and director for Flying Solo, featuring opera legend Nathan Gunn. Upcoming projects include Anna and Sergei, a new play featuring the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff, as well as a new musical based on the award-winning book Out on a Ledge by Eva Libitzky. Hershey has operated a full-service production company since 2001, and in 2020 created a new brand LIVE FROM FLORENCE, that operates a “theater at home broadcast company,” based in Florence, Italy. He has been a scholar-in-residence at Harvard University’s Department of Music and is married to Kim Campbell, the first female Prime Minister of Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this a family-friendly event? Yes, this is a family-friendly event.
- How will I receive the LIVE STREAM Link? Your LIVE STREAM LINK will be sent to you on Friday, September 11th, via the email you used to register for this event. If you do not see the email by noon (PDT) on September 11th, check your spam folder.
- What if I experience technical difficulties or am unable to view the LIVE STREAM? We are not responsible for technical difficulties on your home devices or any issues with your local broadband or wifi. However, there is online support available to help you as best we can. Contact email@example.com for online support. However, if you do have technical difficulties, please remember that your purchase includes the live stream AND an additional week of “on demand” viewing access to a video recording of the live stream (available one-hour after the live broadcast ends).
- What if the LIVE STREAM buffers while I am watching? Don’t worry – you can watch what you missed in the recording later. The recording will be available to you for a full week after the event.
- What’s the refund policy? There are no refunds for this event.
- Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable? No transfers or sharing.
- May I give this as a gift or purchase access for multiple households? Yes, you may gift access to friends and family! To do so, you will need to make a separate purchase for each household and provide a different name and email address associated with that viewing household.
- How do I contact the organizer if I have questions? You can email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. We will get back to you as soon as possible and thank you for your patience.
- Additional “How To Watch” Instructions can be found HERE.